Hi, everyone. We have had quite an eventful first week. It started off last Saturday with the group organizational meeting. I was almost late for the meeting so I hurriedly went to get our lawn chairs for the meeting. I didn't duck enough when I came out from under the bedroom slide so I proceeded to put a 1 1/2" scrape across the top of my head--blood? yeah lots of it, so I sat at the meeting with a towel and ice on my head. The GL wanted me to quickly sign the emergency treatment form. Ha. I think a couple of the SOWERS didn't listen to the GL since I guess I had a little trickle of blood running down the back of my neck--Oh well nothing like a grand entrance. The reason for the near tardiness--I was helping Don and Charlie with their plumbing--their plumbing had frozen and broken the pipes under the kitchen sink. (they also had two blow-out on their way south--some damage to the bottom and skirting on their RV.)
Monday and Tuesday were rather uneventful--just painting and cleaning a mobile home and the camp's kitchen--what a transformation a little paint and cleaning can make.
Wednesday was time to empty the holding tanks--galley tank ok--a little grey water ok--a little black water not ok--the sewer line is plugged. Thanks to our GL Phil and Harold's hard work the line was fixed by Saturday afternoon. Other SOWERS also lent a hand as needed.
Wednesday and Thursday, the men worked on Joe's house--tile bathrooms, install door lock sets and install electrical receptacles. The women continued to clean and inventory kitchen "stuff".
The concrete for the new SOWER (volunteer) building was poured on Thursday and the apron around the building was scheduled for Friday. The lumber was scheduled for delivery on Saturday. If all that happened, the men will start framing the building on Monday. The women are planning to start baking cookies for summer camp--hope we get to sample some.
Friday and Saturday, we scatter in all directions--shopping, birding, concerts, visiting friends....of course there was the sewer problem that took some time.
Sunday we are all going to church together and then out for lunch together.
The weather has been very cooperative for our work--temps are cool in the morning and very pleasant in the afternoon. It was very cool and windy one day but we all had inside jobs so it didn't disrupt our work.
Devotions--"Encouragement", "Working together", "God's Love", and "Seize the moment".
Carole is still dealing with an ailing knee--pray.
nlsower
2 comments:
Fun to hear about your first week. Yes, that must have been quite an entrance. The GL was likely rethinking what jobs to give you. Another gorgeous day in MN today in the mid 30's. Andrew spent the day on the slopes with his friends. Beth and I are off to tennis this evening. Have a good next week and we hope C's knee gets better.
K
Have been waiting to hear what you're up to- thanks for the update. Paul left for CA this afternoon for a few days. Sarah's joining us for an MLK Day sleepover. The girls and I (with a little help from Sam) made saffron buns to help Brianna with her research project on Swedish immigration. We're thankful for warm weather and hope it doesn't snow while Paul's gone! Try to make it a week without any injuries!
Terri
Post a Comment